How did you guys spend your valentines day? With the people you love? With the food you love? haha yep…priorities.
I tend not to take part in many ‘hallmark’ holidays. Me and my boyfriend make an effort to enjoy every day together and go out for dinners when we want to etc. so last night we stayed in, made dinner together and most importantly ate some cake.
It wasn’t heart shaped, and it wasn’t strawberry filled…but for me, carrot cake is a good cake any day of the week, any time of year.
Heres a super simple low fat recipe I threw together for us, and for you.
- the crust is dates and mulberries on half (my side)
- the other half is dates, cashews, pecans and mulberries (his side)
- its a day about compromise right?? haha
- once your crust is pressed down grate carrots and add them to your food processor with about 5-10 medjool dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a handful of raisins.
- pulse until combined with a few raisin chunks
- add half this mix to your pie pan!
- next I added a layer of nutmeg banana ‘icecream’, simply two bananas with a fair amount of nutmeg and a few raisins
- I poured this layer on and let it set in the freezer while I showered, the shower is optional but let it set for presentation reasons
- next I added the other half of the carrot mixture
- on top you could add a cashew based ‘icing’ or stick with the lower fat option like me and use banana, young coconut, and vanilla.
- Store in freezer and place in fridge before eating :)